Skip to main content

Fighting the Monster - Kid Style


Every night, I would hear this particular sound. It was the one sound I was really terrified of. It was the sound of a really heavy, wooden log hitting the ground and then being dragged along on the road. It would happen around the same time every night.

I would lie awake, imagining a terrible monster who had large, wooden logs for legs, walking along the street, looking for little children to carry away and eat. Then I would crawl up to my parents bed and sleep in between my mom and dad, hoping that I wouldn't be carried away. After all, which 8 year old would be strong enough to fight this monster and triumph.

This carried on for a few months and my night terrors got worse. My parents were, at that time, trying to get me to sleep independently. But I would end up in their bed, almost inevitably. It was worse on days when the power went out.

One day, I was home sick and missed school. It was just after lunch and I was reading a book in the balcony when the bell rang. I ran to open the door. There was a man I had never seen before who said he had come to collect his fee. He had a lathi with him and was in a khaki dress, much like a security guard. My mom came and gave him the money in a manner of habit. He exchanged a few pleasantries with me before he left.

I later learnt from my mother that he was the night watchman who would stroll down our street at night with his lathi. And this was the sound I would hear every night. My night terrors stopped all of a sudden, now that I could put a friendly face to this monster.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 'One'

He was woken up by the lights flooding the cabin, accompanied by the pilot's announcement that they will be landing in Hyderabad in approximately forty-five minutes. The outside temperature will be 32 deg celsius and the local time in Hyderabad would be 2.45 am. Rubbing his groggy eyes, Rohan sat up straight and pushed open the window blinds. Dim, obscure lights were visible on the ground, probably a tiny little Indian town. The lights were random and almost looked like stars in the sky on a slightly hazy night. The haze. That's what it was. The lights were obscured by a layer of dusty haze covering the ground.    Sravanti, his cousin was getting married in a week and he had a lot resting on his shoulders. Relatives would remind him of his role in keeping the brother in law from running away to Kashi several times during the next week, sometimes joking and pinching his cheeks, and at other times, with a seriousness that bordered on delusion. This was an important ritual in Tel...

The Lake of Horror

In the summer of 1998, the construction of our house was just about complete and we had a house warming ceremony. Right behind our building, was a lake. People could rent a pedal boat and go boating on that lake at that time. Subsequently, water from the lake was drained out to a different lake and the boating stopped. I was about 14 at that time. Sravani and Sruthi, my friends whose houses were also in the same building were a couple of years younger than me. While the gruhapravesham was going on, the three of us felt particularly adventurous. We decided to go boat riding, but wouldn't be allowed to do it on our own if we asked for permission. Well, we decided to do it anyway. The three of us had a little bit of pocket money and we rented a boat. Our plan was to take the boat to the other side of the lake, closest to our house and surprise our parents and to show them, how capable we were to do it on our own. We would reach waters edge on our home-side, call out to our pare...

To be (kempt) or not to be

A few days ago, Singapore came out of the circuit breaker after being in lockdown for about 8 weeks. On the first day, a friend of mine went out for lunch to Tanjong Pagar, an area that is popular for global restaurants and a vibrant nightlife. There he saw a few people gathered around photographing a hen and her chicks walking around the usually traffic ridden roads. On another occasion, photographs and videos of a family of otters lounging around in front of the (otherwise) ever-busy Mustafa Centre made the rounds on social media. For a city that's boasts of a huge amount of biodiversity , displays of farm birds wandering around or wildlife loitering around are rare in the urban settings. Even the wildlife in Singapore's nature reserves know well not to tarnish the carefully manicured image of the urban cityscape. Talking about manicured, the lawns, gardens and parks around Singapore also started to show their natural state in the last couple of months. While I never a...