Skip to main content

Sister Act

Someone once asked me what I would want if I were granted a wish. I replied that I would ask for an elder sister.

When my mother was expecting a second baby, I was 6 years old. I distinctly remember saying that I wanted a sister and that I had already decided a name for her. Well, my brother was born and I couldn't give him the name I had thought of. I do love having a brother and we have had really good times. But somewhere at the back of my mind, I still wish I had a sister too.

While growing up, I saw friends who have sisters and they wanted to kill each other all the time. They fought over everything and they were as different as chalk and cheese. But as we all grew up, somehow the sisters got closer and their relationships matured. The same siblings who couldn't stand to be around each other, now talk to each other everyday, even if they are on different continents. I have grown up watching my mother and her sister talk to each other about everything in their lives and my mother-in-law shares a very close relationship with her sisters.

I did have very close girl friends all my life with whom I could share intimate details of my everyday life. Girls who I could call at any time of day and night just because I felt like talking. These friends are still there for me, but now I know they have their lives, husbands, careers and kids. I haven't called any of them in a long time until there was a reason to do so. Its not that I can't, but its just that friendships have become more distant than they were during childhood. This is where I feel a sister's relationship would have been different.

This whole grim sense of being sisterless hit me once again last month. My mother had to go through a minor surgery. And, she called her sister who at that time was visiting her daughter in Singapore. As soon as my aunt heard about her surgery, she dropped everything and flew back to India in 2 days to be with my mother. For the last 20 days, she has been helping my mother through her recovery and also taking care of the house. Who else, but a sister would do that?

I can't help but dread feeling doomed in my old age.

Comments

Madhu said…
You could still hope for a daughter :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The 'One'

He was woken up by the lights flooding the cabin, accompanied by the pilot's announcement that they will be landing in Hyderabad in approximately forty-five minutes. The outside temperature will be 32 deg celsius and the local time in Hyderabad would be 2.45 am. Rubbing his groggy eyes, Rohan sat up straight and pushed open the window blinds. Dim, obscure lights were visible on the ground, probably a tiny little Indian town. The lights were random and almost looked like stars in the sky on a slightly hazy night. The haze. That's what it was. The lights were obscured by a layer of dusty haze covering the ground.    Sravanti, his cousin was getting married in a week and he had a lot resting on his shoulders. Relatives would remind him of his role in keeping the brother in law from running away to Kashi several times during the next week, sometimes joking and pinching his cheeks, and at other times, with a seriousness that bordered on delusion. This was an important ritual in Tel...

The Lake of Horror

In the summer of 1998, the construction of our house was just about complete and we had a house warming ceremony. Right behind our building, was a lake. People could rent a pedal boat and go boating on that lake at that time. Subsequently, water from the lake was drained out to a different lake and the boating stopped. I was about 14 at that time. Sravani and Sruthi, my friends whose houses were also in the same building were a couple of years younger than me. While the gruhapravesham was going on, the three of us felt particularly adventurous. We decided to go boat riding, but wouldn't be allowed to do it on our own if we asked for permission. Well, we decided to do it anyway. The three of us had a little bit of pocket money and we rented a boat. Our plan was to take the boat to the other side of the lake, closest to our house and surprise our parents and to show them, how capable we were to do it on our own. We would reach waters edge on our home-side, call out to our pare...

To be (kempt) or not to be

A few days ago, Singapore came out of the circuit breaker after being in lockdown for about 8 weeks. On the first day, a friend of mine went out for lunch to Tanjong Pagar, an area that is popular for global restaurants and a vibrant nightlife. There he saw a few people gathered around photographing a hen and her chicks walking around the usually traffic ridden roads. On another occasion, photographs and videos of a family of otters lounging around in front of the (otherwise) ever-busy Mustafa Centre made the rounds on social media. For a city that's boasts of a huge amount of biodiversity , displays of farm birds wandering around or wildlife loitering around are rare in the urban settings. Even the wildlife in Singapore's nature reserves know well not to tarnish the carefully manicured image of the urban cityscape. Talking about manicured, the lawns, gardens and parks around Singapore also started to show their natural state in the last couple of months. While I never a...